Cooperatives

Agricultural Union of Mandamados

In 1929 in Mandamados, 245 members decided to unite their production for the common interest. This is how the Agricultural Union of Mandamados was created. In the beginning it was a union purely for olive cultivations. The olives’ harvest and the production of olive oil has been and still is one of the major economic activities of the area.
Animal breading also contributed largely to the income of the residents, and in time the union also took up milk collection and production of dairy products.
Today, the Agricultural Union of Mandamados owns a private olive press, which was recently modernized with the most up-to-date machines. It also owns a cheese farm, for the production of the largely known traditional dairy products. It has also expanded its activities to the commerce of animal food.
For information please contact: tel. 2253 0 61270, fax 2253 0 61239 & email: asmadama@hol.gr

Agricultural Union of Kapi

The Agricultural Union of Kapi was founded in 1930, by 90 members that wished to manage their production, olive trees and milk, on their own in order to make the most of it for the benefit of all partners.
Today, the Agricultural Union of Kapi owns a private olive press, which was recently modernized with the most up-to-date machines.
Apart from trading the producer’s milk, the Union moved on to take up credit and purchasing activities on behalf of its members.
It has also taken up the effort to reproduce pure-bred Lesbos sheep and goats, in the framework of a program carried out by the Center of Genetic Enhancement of Athens.
For further information please contact: Tel.& Fax: 2253 0 93204.

Agricultural Union of Klio

The Agricultural Union of Klio was founded in 1925 under the decree 92023/20-7-1925 of the Ministry of Agriculture and has been running since 1928. Today, it consists of 210 member- partners and its main activity is the oil production. Its existing oil press has been operating since 1975 and before that, the union had bought from the Turk Ali Tzoumert an oil factory, which was located in the place of today’s main square of the village.
It owns and runs a warehouse for animal food and takes up the commerce of milk on behalf of the producers.In a time difficult for the agriculture, the Union, with the close cooperation between the Management and the members, is following an upward course and tries to contribute to the creation of a better future for the farmers.

Agricultural Union of Pelopi

The Agricultural Union of Pelopi was founded in 1953 by 93 members. The union’s main activity was the milk collection from the livestock farmers and its exploitation for the producers own benefit.
The livestock farmers could see their income decrease more and more every year, since the milk traders’ prices were extremely low. This is why they decided to take over the milk dairying and the promotion of their products in the market.
Their effort failed and the project was soon abandoned since they did not manage to sell their products nor did they have proper facilities and machines, and therefore a large stock of milk products remained unexploited.
Today, the Agricultural Union of Pelopi, apart from collecting the milk and selling it to the traders, is also involved in the program for the reproduction of pure-bred Lesbos sheep and goats, carried out by the Center of Genetic Enhancement of Athens.